What is an Annual Wellness Visit?
An Annual Wellness Visit, often shortened as AWV, is a yearly preventive healthcare appointment available to all Medicare Part B beneficiaries. At your AWV, your healthcare provider will develop (or update) a personalized prevention plan to help you improve your health and stay healthier longer. An AWV is different from a regular checkup or physical — it tends to be a longer and more comprehensive visit focused on preventive care compared to other visits to the doctor. Many health insurance plans offer rewards or incentives for completing your AWV; check with your health plan's member services team to learn more.
Potential Services Included During Your AWV
Your AWV will likely include most or all of the following:
- A detailed review of your medical and family history
- Reviewing and/or updating your current medications
- Taking height, weight, blood pressure, and other routine measurements
- Assessing signs of cognitive impairment
- Personalized health advice
- Identifying a list of risk factors and treatment options based on your health
- Providing a screening schedule (often a calendar) for appropriate preventive services
- Advance care planning
How to Prepare for an AWV
An AWV does not require any specific preparation but gathering some information ahead of time will give you more time during the visit for discussing any health concerns with your doctor. Here are a few tips on how to prepare:
- Keep a list handy of all your health care providers, including their names and contact information.
- Complete any health forms or assessments that may have been sent by your doctor's office in advance of your visit.
- Bring a list of all the medications you take, including prescription and non-prescription drugs, vitamins, and supplements. It may be easiest to place all of your bottles in a bag to take with you!
- Compile a list of questions or topics you want to discuss with your doctor. It's important that you get the most out of this visit and get all of your questions answered.
Need Help Scheduling your AWV?
You can contact your primary care provider’s office directly or ask your Duo about scheduling your AWV during your next check-in - they’ll get you connected to the right resources!
Get Your Free Resource
Enter your email below to get your free resource